By JAMES HUMPOLETZ
SCA members chose between eight candidates to fill six seats in the election managed by third-party elections company UK Engage. In accordance with the SCA Bylaws, the six newly-elected coffee professionals will join the board on January 1st, 2019 at which point the terms of six existing members of the advisory body will come to an end and a new president, vice president, 2nd vice president, and treasurer will be appointed.
The six coffee professionals selected by SCA members to join the Board of Directors in the 2019-2020 elections are:
- Asli Yaman of KiMMA Coffee Roasters
- Pamela Chng of Bettr Barista
- Vava Angwenyi of Vava Coffee
- Vera Espindola Rafael of the Secretariat of Agriculture, Livestock, Rural Development, Fisheries and Food in Mexico (SAGARPA)
- Mbula Musau of Utake Coffee Limited
- Choi Seongil of Choi Coffee Company
On behalf of our staff and volunteer leadership, we send a warm congratulations to each of our new board members. We send special thanks to Katie Booser of Bellwether Coffee and Khalid Al Mulla of Easternmen Trading for running in this election. We value the time Katie and Khalid put into the nominations, interview, and elections process and we look forward to our continued work with them in their existing capacities as community leaders.
As we welcome six new members to the Board of Directors, we see a few additional changes to its composition. Per the association’s bylaws, the following existing members of the board will take on new roles on January 1st, 2019:
- Heather Perry of Klatch Coffee Roasting will become president
- Christina Meinl of Julius Meinl will become vice president
- Tracy Ging of S&D Coffee & Tea will become 2nd vice president
- Nils Erichsen of WAVE Investments will become treasurer
Last but not least, we send a warm thank you to the six dedicated members of the board whose terms end on December 31, 2018. These coffee professionals have provided invaluable leadership to the association since the unification of the SCAA and SCAE and have dedicated countless volunteer hours to make the work of the SCA a success:
- Paul Stack of Marco Beverage Systems, who most recently served as President
- Mary Tellie of Electric City Coffee Roasting, who most recently served as Treasurer
- Andrew Linnemann of Starbucks
- Chad Trewick of Reciprocafé
- Frank Neuhausen of BWT water+more
- Chahan Yeretzian of the Zurich University of Applied Sciences (ZHAW)
- Todd Mackey of Olam Specialty Coffee. Sarah Leslie of Leslie Coffee Co. will take the Barista Guild ex-officio seat.
- Konrad Oleksak of Kofi Brand will step down on February 1, 2019. Emilio Lopez Diaz of Cuatro M Single Origin Coffees will take the Coffee Roasters Guild ex-officio seat.
Once again, congratulations and welcome to our six new board members, and thank you to Paul, Mary, Andrew, Chad, Frank, Chahan, Todd, and Konrad for their dedication to the mission of the association. The members of the 2019-2020 Board of Directors will meet in January 2019. Stay tuned for more information on a future webinar with the new leadership.