Don’t Hire Your Customers – Ben Szobody

Ben Szobody speaking at CoLab: Belfast in November 2017 about the business and social benefits of hiring beyond the usual suspects. Ben leads an examination of employee retention in the industry and looks at what it takes to develop well-rounded employees who stay inspired and engaged. Ben spent 15 years in political and business journalism …

Swiss SCA Chapter Hosts First Education Day

By KIM STAALMAN This initiative by the volunteers behind the Swiss SCA chapter, led by National Coordinator Philipp Henauer, proved very popular. It wasn’t surprising when looking at the lineup of speakers. The day’s program was diverse in topics and showcased both Switzerland’s own coffee talent and a few guest speakers from Germany. The day …

Congratulations to the 2018 Cezve/Ibrik Champion!

By CONNOR CLARKE Congratulations to Slava Babych, representing Ukraine, who has become the 2018 Cezve/Ibrik Champion! Over three days, we’ve seen some great performances from seven coffee professionals in the Cezve/Ibrik Championship. The final ranking also included Marina Khuyppenen, representing Russia, who placed in 2nd, with Koray Erdoğdu representing Turkey in 3rd, and Sumit Shrestha …

February 2018 Webinar: Update On New Ad Hoc Committees and Task Force

Specialty Coffee Association Logo

Update: Thanks to all who joined us for this webinar on February 26th! The recording of the webinar is now available above. Photos and bios of our committee members can be found on the SCA website here. As always, if you have questions or would like to get involved in this work, email us at …

National Coffee Competitions: A Recap of New Champions from Around the Globe

Here is our recap of the winners of national coffee competitions from around the world in collaboration with World Coffee Events (WCE) for the months of December 2017 and January 2018. These dedicated coffee competitors have earned the right to represent their country in coffee competitions at the international level. For more information on upcoming …

Une année charnière – 25 Magazine: Issue 3

L’année 2017 a été une étape importante pour notre communauté, avec l’introduction de nombreuses initiatives axées sur les membres, notamment Avance, la première conférence de la SCA sur le développement durable au Guatemala, le premier Sommet de la guilde des techniciens du café en Europe, l’Étude d’analyse comparative financière pour les torréfacteurs/détaillants de café, le …

Meet the 1951 Baristas – 25 Magazine: Issue 3 Online Exclusive

As told to ELIZABETH DOERR for 25 Magazine, Issue 3: Online Exclusives. Ali Fayazi (22, Afghanistan) I left Afghanistan in June 2016. I couldn’t see a future for myself there and it just wasn’t safe. After a five-year application process, I came to the U.S. by myself leaving my family back in Afghanistan. I miss …

A Milestone Year – 25 Magazine: Issue 3

The year 2017 was a milestone for our community, with the introduction of many new member-focused initiatives, including Avance, the SCA’s first sustainability conference in Guatemala, the first Coffee Technicians Guild Summit in Europe, the SCA’s Roaster/Retailer Financial Benchmarking Study, the launch of the Coffee Skills Program, amalgamating SCAE’s Coffee Diploma System and SCAA’s Pathways …

Reflections from the Coffee Technicians Guild Summit

By MARCO SERRI The Coffee Technicians Guild Summit has just ended in Susegana, Italy – the first European event dedicated to technicians who daily support the coffee industry. This was an opportunity to share knowledge and experiences among industry experts. Hosted by Astoria, we had the pleasure of spending two wonderful days with technicians coming …